Every year I get so excited to plant our zucchini – picturing the day when I can enjoy the freshly picked veggie right off the grill.
Fast forward 2 months and I am buried under a mountain of fresh zucchini, scrambling around the interwebs for a variety of zucchini recipes.
I recently found this Low Fat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe and adapted it a little. The result was a delicious, moist bread with little pockets of chocolate wonderment. It freezes well and you can easily make muffins instead of bread if you desire. (For muffins, adjust cooking time down to about 25-30 minutes.) Great for breakfast, snacking or even dessert.
Tip: One night we halved a couple of muffins and topped them with fat free Cool Whip and fresh blackberries. DELISH!
You will need:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (not packed)
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix together until well blended.
- Add chocolate chips to that bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, vanilla, melted butter, apple sauce and zucchini.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan (I used a 9×5 inch pan).
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool for several minutes before removing from pan.
Mini Muffin Version:
Cute helper optional: