I happened upon this craft in the February issue of Disney’s FamilyFun Magazine. It looked simple enough and I loved the Valentine’s Day twist on a traditional treat – achieved simply using red and pink sprinkles and Conversation Hearts.
You will need:
- Chocolate chips – any variety (milk, dark, white) – I used Hershey’s white chocolate baking chips
- Plastic spoons – consider a seasonal color if you are making these for a certain holiday
- Sprinkles/Candies – again, think seasonal!
- Wax paper
- Baking sheet
- Plastic baggy
- Microwaveable bowl
- Optional – candy bags and ribbon if you are wrapping these to give as gifts
How to make:
- Line baking sheet with wax paper
- Place plastic spoons on wax paper (spoons should be level – you can prop the handle end on the edge of the baking sheet. My baking sheet was too deep so I used chip clips. 🙂 )
- Fill microwaveable bowl with about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Microwave at 20-30 second intervals, stopping frequently to stir chocolate. (Leave this part to an adult if you’re making these with the kiddies.)
- Once melted, spoon chocolate into a plastic baggy and snip corner off bag to create a piping bag.
- Pipe chocolate into each spoon. Fill the spoon about 80% (leaving a little room for candy).
- Decorate! Note: larger candy such as Conversation Hearts, marshmallows, etc will need to be pushed into the chocolate a bit.
- Repeat until you have made your desired number of stirrers!
Let these cool for an hour or so. Pop tray into freezer if you need them to cool quicker. If you are going to give these away as gifts, consider wrapping them in candy wraps with a fun ribbon – ribbon can be seasonal or match the theme of your party for extra cute points.
I was so pleased with how these turned out!
They are perfect for stirring into coffee or hot cocoa – or for eating right off the spoon!
Update: Here’s a look at the finished product! I ended up putting 1 spoon and 1 packet of hot cocoa in a sandwich bag, along with Lily’s Valentine. I bought the Valentines a couple of months ago – to match the theme of Lily’s preschool class (the Busy Bees!)… otherwise I probably would have gone with a hot cocoa themed “My heart melts for you” (or something similar) card. Either way, they are really cute!