Last night I set out to make a healthier version of a traditionally greasy, cheese laden dinner dish. Turned out to be even easier than I thought – I literally just threw most of my ingredients together – not much measuring required.
You will need:
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thawed
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- A dash of each of the following: grated Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
- Optional – 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
How to make:
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Slice chicken breast in half.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning and Parmesan cheese. I made my own bread crumbs (first time ever!) by chopping a hunk of stale homemade bread in the blender.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in egg whites.
- Then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place chicken in frying pan and heat until thoroughly cooked through, turning over once in the middle of cooking. I cooked each side for 3-4 minutes before flipping.
- *If you would like mozzarella cheese on your chicken, go ahead and add it now. Remove from heat as the cheese begins to melt.
- Once plated, top with sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Add some shredded fresh basil if you have any on hand!
- Make this even healthier by skipping the frying pan altogether. Prepare chicken as described above and place in a glass baking dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through).