Making the short walk out to my garden is quickly becoming one of my favorite (and most rewarding) activities, even in this most desperate heat and humidity. The herbs have been pumping out for a month or so now and the veggies are finally following suit.
I had some fresh rosemary that was just begging for a chicken dish, so here is the dinner we enjoyed the other night.
You will need:
8-10 pieces of chicken (thighs or drumsticks, thawed)
1/4 Cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP sugar
2 lemons (1 juiced, 1 thinly sliced)
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1/2 TSP paprika
1 TSP onion powder
1/4 TSP crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine olive oil, sugar, garlic, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Arrange chicken in a casserole dish and pour combined ingredients over chicken. (Note: you can also use those combined ingredients as a marinade. Simply add them, along with the chicken pieces, to a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.)
4. Place lemon and onion slices around, on top and under chicken pieces.
5. Sprinkle salt, pepper, rosemary and oregano on top.
Here’s mine, ready to go into the oven:
6. Bake chicken at 400 F for 1 hour (or until the chicken juices run clear).
We served our chicken over rice. Pasta would work great too – or you could also tuck some potatoes in the dish with the chicken.