If you have been following me on Facebook, you’ve seen that our tomato plants have finally decided to ripen and are pumping out tomatoes! Pair that with the abundance of basil that is also growing and you’ve got a win-win situation. Few things make me feel more summer-y than a tomato/basil combo – in pretty much any form.
I have seen the recipe below circulating on Pinterest and last week finally indulged my curiosity. This meal ROCKED! We could not believe how unbelievably delicious this dinner turned out. In fact, we’ll be having it again this week and I am going to double the recipe so that I’ll have a batch to freeze. I have been thinking about freezer meals lately as baby #2’s due date gets closer and closer. This meal will be the first addition to my stockpile!
We served our lasagna roll ups with a fresh Caesar salad on the side.
You will need:
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
8 oz low-moisture part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg white
1/3 shredded Parmesan cheese (in a pinch grated cheese will work too)
ground black pepper
3-4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil, extra needed for garnish
1 cup marinara sauce
How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cook lasagna noodles to al dente. Arrange noodles side by side on a piece of wax paper. Note: I coated the wax paper with non-stick cooking spray before adding the noodles – otherwise they kept sticking to the paper and tearing it.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and egg white together until well-blended.
4. Stir in the Parmesan cheese as well as 6 oz of the mozzarella cheese. Season with black pepper.
5. Spread 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each noodle. Place tomato slices over the cheese mixture in a single layer. Top each tomato with some fresh basil.
6. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a glass baking dish. (I used a 13×9 glass baking dish.) Roll up each lasagna noodle and place next to each other, seam side down, in the dish.
7. Cover tops of roll ups with remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top of sauce.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Garnish with freshly chopped basil and serve!