Towards the end of the summer I found myself with an overwhelming abundance of plum tomatoes and fresh basil (no complaining here!). I thought about making some tomato sauce but when a friend suggested making soup, I was intrigued. Then I came across a recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup in my latest Taste of Home magazine and I knew I had to try it.
This soup is delicious! It would be perfect on a chilly evening and I’ll bet serving it with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich would take it to the next level.
You will need:
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes, halved (about 15 tomatoes)
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Julienned fresh basil leaves
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place tomatoes, onions and garlic in a greased baking pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove tomato skins if so desired.
- Blend tomato mixture and fresh basil leaves until smooth.
- Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Heat through.
- Top with julienned basil leaves if desired.